Had to Wait too Long for Your Expedited Passport? Refunds are Available

Jun 19, 2007

(WASHINGTON, DC) –U.S. Rep. Collin Peterson (D-Minn) reminded passport applicants who paid an extra $60 to get their passports expedited but didn’t get them in time that they can request a refund of that fee.

“The State Department sorely underestimated their ability to address the onslaught of passport applications they received after requiring passports for travel to Canada and Mexico,” Peterson said. “It’s clear that the agency didn’t provide a service that many paid extra for, and they are ready to issue refunds.”

Applicants who paid the $60 expedite fee, and have reason to believe they did not receive expedited service, should write to the Department of State to request that they consider a refund of the expedite fee at:

Department of State
Passport Services/PPS/Refunds
2100 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20037-3202

Customers should submit a written request with their passport number, if available, name, date and place of birth and approximate date(s) they applied for their passport and received their passport (if applicable). Mailing address and phone number should also be included.

The Department cannot refund passport application and execution fees or compensate applicants for missed travel.